Last Updated on
Alright, I promised that I would share the other 4 equities I bought to hold in my TFSA aka Tax Free Trading Account. With the markets plummeting these past few days, it might be a good idea to load up on some stocks you have been keeping an eye on. The volatility is back.. stocks are on sale (that's how I like to think of it, anyway).
Like last week's post, I had you try to guess what the equity I bought in my TFSA was. So I'll try and do the same again this week.
I had bought a very small amount of shares of this income trust before 2011 rolled around. With the newly added money ($5000) I put in last month, I added more shares to equal 100 shares. When I get more money in my TFSA from my tax refund, I plan on buying more of this stock.
Alright, here goes, time to put on your thinking caps:
- This is another big dividend payer- 8.28% annual yield (that's $0.10333 per share per month or $1.24 per share a year)
- They didn't decrease their payout to investors even though they converted from an income trust to a corporation (one of the few ones that didn't). This says a lot since the government changed the tax structure, so they are being taxed and still paying the investors the same amount. That says a lot.
- It's an independent energy supplier with electricity and natural gas customers throughout Canada and the US (they use contracts and long term fixed-price agreements)
- More energy supplied to the US (more customers) and a little more natural gas supplied to Canada (in terms of customer numbers)
- They are also one of the largest competitive green energy retailers in North America- you can choose to have a portion of your energy come from renewable resources
- Current P/E ratio is 10.03 (which is good)
- Canadian stocks are heavily weighted in utilities and this is one of them 🙂
- You can DRIP it (I still need to get in on this DRIPing action)
Okay, did you guess it? It's kind of an investment darling for a lot of people, PF bloggers alike (I know Sunny from My First 50,000 is a huge fan)- it's…. drum roll please….
Just Energy. Their Just Green program (using renewable resources) seems very innovative and it appears there is a lot of potential growth for the company. Again, if you are thinking about this stock, I warn you I am not a financial professional, so do your due diligence and research before you make the plunge with any investment advice or opinions. 🙂
Readers, did you guess it right? If you have this stock, what do you think about it? Any readers use this company for their electricity and natural gas?
Latest posts by Young (see all)
- How to Get More Money Back from your Tax Return - February 21, 2018
- Book Review: The Behavior Gap – Simple Ways to Stop Doing Dumb Things with Money by Carl Richards - July 2, 2017
- Book Review: The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason - May 10, 2017