Last Updated on
I'm not sure if many of you readers were around when I wrote my beloved post: Ode to Promo Codes but I thought of that post the other day and thought I would elaborate on why I love coupon codes and promo codes.
I've been doing a lot of online shopping lately (BAD girl, I know!) because I have been too lazy to go out to real stores to buy things (and I don't have the time to find parking, walk to the mall, get side tracked at other stores), and on top of that, I think I've become more antisocial (I blame it on the blog?) so the social interaction with actual sales people who are obviously out for your commission tends to bug me and make me cringe.
Yeah, I know, I need to get a life.
Anyway, I've done a lot of shopping online (some of my favourites are Amazon, Forever 21 when they have free shipping, and yeah, Victoria Secret because we don't have one here in Canada!).
Before I shop online and actually go through with the purchase, I always see a box that says: “Promo Code” or “Coupon Code” and because there is an empty box there, I always do a quick Google search to find coupon codes or promo codes that will fit in that box and give me free shipping, or a 5% discount, or even just $5 off. Sometimes I can't face the fact that the box has to remain empty. It was such an unhealthy obsession that I wrote about the extreme extent of my obsession with coupon codes, where I literally spent four hours of my time to save FIVE DOLLARS when I was booking a hotel online.
I was excited that I finally found a coupon code but deflated that it was only worth $5… and wasted four hours of my time.
Yup..! So sad, so sad.
Now, I usually just hit up the regular coupon code websites to search for coupon codes that I can use in Canada. If I can't find a coupon code, a little remorse kicks in when I have to click “submit payment” and that box is empty, but at least I know I tried!
Some great Promo Codes Websites
- Retail Me Not– I like this one because it tells you what percentage of Retail Me Not customers had success with the coupon code recently
- Savings.com– They even have grocery store savings, and printable coupons as well.
- Discounts.ca– is based out of Toronto and they seem like a small start up (10 employees) but are dedicated to saving you money, even on Daily Deal sites (check out my ultimate guide to Canadian Daily Deals post)
- Swagbucks – Another site that shows a pile of money saving coupons and they have been mentioned by New York Times and MSN Money.
Also, if you're an eBay addict (I used to be but sort of grew out of that phase when I realized shipping to Canada and within Canada can often be ridiculously expensive…case in point, I bought something worth $3 and paid for shipping really quickly when I realized that the shipping was $30! It was too late to reverse it at the time. Yup…. first world problems!), the CouponCodes website has eBay coupons too for specific eBay stores.
Readers, do you regularly search for coupon codes and promo codes when you make purchases online?
What's your personal success rate?
Do you often find good coupon codes?
Which one is your favourite coupon code/ promo code site?
Latest posts by Young (see all)
- How to Get More Money Back from your Tax Return - February 21, 2018
- The Ultimate Pet Insurance Guide for Canadians – 2017 Updated! - December 3, 2017
- Book Review: The Behavior Gap – Simple Ways to Stop Doing Dumb Things with Money by Carl Richards - July 2, 2017