Nowadays, I go maybe… a few times a year? I don’t go unless I absolutely need something (or when I need to Christmas present shop). I really can’t window shop. I can’t (especially when there are end of season sales tempting me).
That’s why, when today, Mr. youngandthrifty wanted to get a haircut at the mall, and asked me to come with him, I thought “ughhh!! I will have to test my will power again!” Initially, I thought I would do some more grocery shopping for an hour (but I did some earlier that day already and got everything I needed for the week.. basically I was lying to myself- giving myself an excuse to go to the mall) so I ended up checking out some of the clothing shops.
Okay, whoever said buying things during Boxing Week (our After Christmas sale) hasn’t really seen the sales that they have during the last week or two of January. That’s when everything is marked down 50-70% off. I couldn’t resist.
I caved and parted with some of my hard-earned cash for a skirt and top at Aritzia (total $80). And I blamed it on Mr. youngandthrifty. Lol…Real mature of me, huh?
I wonder how often people go to the mall (aka Budget Wrecker)?
Obviously there are several factors to consider in the phenomenon of Mall Visiting and Material Purchasing:
- Accessibility: How close is the mall to you? Do you work at a mall? Is your hairdresser at the mall?
- Bait: Is there a sale going on? (I had an email earlier from one of my favourite stores that said they marked things down 30-70% off)
- Are you able to Window Shop: If you’re not, then you’re like me. Better off staying away from the mall.
- Weather: Maybe the weather has something to do with mall visiting patterns- if it’s cold or rainy, perhaps there is more inclination to go to the mall because there isn’t “anything else” better to do.
- Service: I’m sure many studies have been done about whether “good service” from customer service personnel leads to more impulse buying. Another factor is whether one “tries on” things or not and the amount of help one receives from the sales people. (More friendly help likely equates to ka-ching-ness from the store)
I’m curious to know how often you go to the mall? Once a year? Once a month? Once a week?
Are you able to “just window shop” or do you usually end up buying something? Do you feel guilty about your purchases like I do? =)