Let’s just say that the more I learn about Warren Buffett, the more I heart him.
He’s the third wealthiest person IN THE WORLD for 2010, just in case you were living under a rock and hadn’t heard of him.
He’s estimated to have $40 billion dollars net worth, which primarily started in investing. $40 BILLION!!!
Here are some reasons that he’s so cool:
- He still lives in the same house in Omaha that he’s lived in for 50 years
- He still drives an old chevy truck even though he’s the third richest man in the world
- He still eats at the same diner style restaurant regularly (no caviar or fois grois for him!)
- He seems really down to earth and friendly
- He joins in on Geico ads and looks really cute and enthusiastic doing so
- His children aren’t spoiled and he told them he doesn’t plan to give them any inheritance and they 100% agree with that (they seemed really down to earth too, from the documentary)
- He plans to donate the majority of his assets to charity (AND it’s not even a charity funded in his name e.g. The Warren Buffet foundation)
- He plays bridge with Bill Gates
- Bill Gates admires him, kind of like a mentor
- He bought 40 acres of Nebraska farmland at the age of 14 for $1200 (dude, at the age of 14 I was too busy being self absorbed!)
- He became at millionaire at the age of 31
- He doesn’t believe in active trading, he buys and holds, and buys some more
- His affair with investing started by reading The Intelligent Investor and befriending the author. It’s sitting on my bedside and I have yet to read it, but very excited to read it.
- He’s an adorable 80 year old!
There’s another biography on Buffett by Alice Schroeder called The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life so I hope to check that out soon.
Do you heart Warren Buffett too? Any other factoids on him that I should add?