Investing Made Easy
Growing Your Money Doesn’t Have to Be Complicated
When most people think of investing they think of guys with too much product in their hair, who wear nice suits, make millions of dollars and stare at boring/complicated graphs on computer screens all day. Or perhaps, if you’re a young adult, you might associate investing with stock market crashes and the panic that they cause – that’s what the media prefers to report on, after all.
At best, most Canadians see “investing” as something they talk about with their “bank person” once or twice a year (usually during “RRSP season”) and as a sort of arcane magic/black box that they could never hope to understand. Be different, and learn to invest using our quick and easy investment guide.
Minimizing Your Investment Fees as a Canadian
Canadians pay the highest fees to financial advisors in the world through hidden mutual fund costs. By learning a few small pieces of terminology, and reading a few articles on the tools that we use, anyone can become a DIY investor and learn to control their own financial fate, instead of leaving it in the hands of people who might not have their best interests at heart.
All people need to succeed as an investor is basic grade nine math (honestly, most of it is just basic ratios and percentages, it’s no more complicated than understanding hockey players plus/minus numbers or a goalie’s save percentage) and a willingness to ask questions when we don’t know something. For some reason talking about money and investments is taboo, and very few teachers have any idea about this stuff, so we’re never really exposed to any natural learning opportunities. This information imbalance is massively exploited to the tune of hundreds of billion dollars every year in Canada.
Don’t be that person that is afraid to ask a question for fear of looking dumb! Let us help you Keep It Simple and Stellar (KISS). View our comprehensive Investing Guide Below (the best articles are highlighted for your convenience):
- The Basics – Couch Potato Investing
- How to start investing: The Easy-Peasy Way
- ETF Investing – The Basics (A whole free book available upon signing up to our newsletter)
- What is an ETF
- ETF’s For The Common Investor
- Best ETFs for Young Canadian Investors
- Canadian ETF’s VS USA ETF’s
- The Ultimate 5-Step Guide to Maximizing Your Index ETF Returns
- Vanguard Canada ETFs vs TD E-Series Mutual Funds
- VTI and VXUS (Vangauad)
- Why Should You Stick to Index Investing
- How to sell high and buy low all the time
- Index Investing and ETF’s
- Index Investment – It Works!
- The Magic of Compound Interest
- What are RRSPs, TFSAs, and RESPs (Separate Section)
- Investing in Yourself
- Empowering Millennials to Tackle Self-Directed Investing
- Is it Possible to Avoid Difficult Financial Lessons When it Comes to Investing?
- Risk Taking in Investments
- What are preferred shares?
- The pros and cons of Limit Orders
- Stop-Limit orders
- Do woman make better investors than men?
- Growth VS monthly income
- Buy what you know
- Save or Invest for short-term goals?
- Dividend Investing
- Robo Advisors: The New Way to Invest
- Online Stock Brokers:
- Best Canadian Banks
- How to Get TD E-Series Funds in Your TFSA or RRSP
- Canadian Flow Through Shares Explained
- Warnings and Heads Ups:
- Financial Advice
- How often should I be re-balancing my investment portfolio?
- Why renting a house in your 20’s is a good choice for the future
- Taking a Canadian Securities Course (CSC)
- The danger of Forex Trading
- Irrelevant for 2017 considering ultra-low interest rates globally: https://youngandthrifty.ca/high-interest-savings-account/
- Still relevant but not up to date: https://youngandthrifty.ca/should-you-invest-in-apple/
- Investment portfolio makeover in 2016 – https://youngandthrifty.ca/investment-portfolio-makeover/
- Investment portfolio makeover in 2015 – https://youngandthrifty.ca/investment-owners-contract/
Below are the 6 most recent posts on our investment guide:
You know what people in the finance world love to joke about? How no one understands what an RRSP is. Oh, how they laugh. They laugh like it's 'so simple'. And then when they try to explain it, they bog it down with so much bullshit, that even I get confused - and I'm...read more
BMO InvestorLine wants to be your online investing destination and has clearly heard that Canadian investors don’t all have the same wants and needs. (A basic vanilla indexer like myself is going to require a very minimalist platform, whereas a day-trader is going to...read more
As two of Canada’s best discount brokerage the Questrade vs Qtrade debate has had DIY investors arguing for years. We’ll do our best to break it down and find the best fit for you. Before diving in and splitting hairs, I should point that both platforms are excellent...read more
To wrap up our tour of the top robo advisors in Canada (see our Ultimate Guide to Canada’s Robo Advisors for more information), we thought we’d take a look at the first entrant into the Canadian market and one the market leaders in Canada with our Nest Wealth Review....read more
Congratulations! If you're considering opening a Questrade discount brokerage account, you have have likely managed to get a handle on your personal finances and are now ready to put your money to work for you. Read our in-depth Questrade review below and take...read more
“We're on a mission to bring smarter financial services to everybody, regardless of age or net worth.” - Michael Katchen, CEO, Wealthsimple Join YoungAndThrifty.ca, the premier Canadian source for Robo Advisors, as we review Wealthsimple, the biggest Canadian...read more