Investing Made Easy
Growing your money doesn't have to be complicated
When most people think of investing they think of guys with too much product in their hair, who wear nice suits, make millions of dollars and stare at boring/complicated graphs on computer screens all day. Or perhaps, if you’re a young adult, you might associate investing with stock market crashes and the panic that they cause – that’s what the media prefers to report on, after all.
At best, most Canadians see “investing” as something they talk about with their “bank person” once or twice a year (usually during “RRSP season”) and as a sort of arcane magic/black box that they could never hope to understand. Be different, and learn to invest using our quick and easy investment guide.
Keeping it simple
The truth is that investing for most people should be very very simple. Our FREE eBook’s subtitle is “Low Maintenance and Stellar Returns”. In it, you’ll find the exact investing portfolio that I use and why I use it. The book takes about 20 minutes to read through, and I’m sure that by the end I’ll have convinced you that investing does not need to be difficult or time consuming. I honestly spend maybe a half-hour every few months checking my investments – and that’s it! It’s called “passive investing” or “couch potato investing” for a reason.
Either download the book, and or browse through more than 250 well-researched articles readily available for you on YoungAndThrifty.ca.
Popular Product Reviews:
Minimizing Your Investment Fees as a Canadian
Canadians pay the highest fees to financial advisors in the world through hidden mutual fund costs. By learning a few small pieces of terminology, and reading a few articles on the tools that we use, anyone can become a DIY investor and learn to control their own financial fate, instead of leaving it in the hands of people who might not have their best interests at heart.
All people need to succeed as an investor is basic grade nine math (honestly, most of it is just basic ratios and percentages, it’s no more complicated than understanding hockey players plus/minus numbers or a goalie’s save percentage) and a willingness to ask questions when we don’t know something. For some reason talking about money and investments is taboo, and very few teachers have any idea about this stuff, so we’re never really exposed to any natural learning opportunities. This information imbalance is massively exploited to the tune of hundreds of billion dollars every year in Canada.
Don’t be that person that is afraid to ask a question for fear of looking dumb! Let us help you Keep It Simple and Stellar (KISS). View our comprehensive Investing Guide Below (the best articles are highlighted for your convenience):
- The Basics – Couch Potato Investing
- How to start investing: The Easy-Peasy Way
- ETF Investing – The Basics (A whole free book available upon signing up to our newsletter)
- What is an ETF
- ETF’s For The Common Investor
- Best ETFs for Young Canadian Investors
- Canadian ETF’s VS USA ETF’s
- The Ultimate 5-Step Guide to Maximizing Your Index ETF Returns
- Vanguard Canada ETFs vs TD E-Series Mutual Funds
- VTI and VXUS (Vangauad)
- Why Should You Stick to Index Investing
- How to sell high and buy low all the time
- Index Investing and ETF’s
- Index Investment – It Works!
- The Magic of Compound Interest
- What are RRSPs, TFSAs, and RESPs (Separate Section)
- Investing in Yourself
- Empowering Millennials to Tackle Self-Directed Investing
- Is it Possible to Avoid Difficult Financial Lessons When it Comes to Investing?
- Risk Taking in Investments
- What are preferred shares?
- The pros and cons of Limit Orders
- Stop-Limit orders
- Do woman make better investors than men?
- Growth VS monthly income
- Buy what you know
- Save or Invest for short-term goals?
- Dividend Investing
- Making a Dividend Income Spreadsheet
- Canadian Dividend Investing: Big Bank Stocks
- Dividends Explained
- Canadian Dividend Investing: Utility Stocks
- Dividend Re-Investment Plans (DRIP) – Why and How
- Investing In Tobacco Dividends
- Investing in Telecommunication Dividend Stocks
- Robo Advisors: The New Way to Invest
- Wealthsimple Review (Top Rated)
- NestWealth Review
- Wealthsimple Black and The Wealthsimple High Interest Savings Account
- BMO SmartFolio Review
- RBC InvestEase Review
- JustWealth Review
- Modern Advisor Review
- Invisor Review
- WealthBar Review
- IQ Trade by Questrade Review
- Steadyhand and Mawer vs Robo Advisors
- TD E-Series vs Robo Advisors
- Tangerine Investment Funds vs Robo Advisors
- Automated Wealth Management: Not Just Cheaper, But Better Performing
- Responsive Robo Advisor Review
- Robo Advisors Have a Fudiciary Duty - Can Your Advisor Say the Same?
- Online Stock Brokers:
- BMO Investorline Online Banking Review
- Questrade Review (Most Recommended)
- Questrade Vs. Qtrade Comparison
- Virtual Brokers Review
- TD Direct Investing
- Best Canadian Banks
- How to Get TD E-Series Funds in Your TFSA or RRSP
- Canadian Flow Through Shares Explained
- Warnings and Heads Ups:
- Is the Smith Manoeuvre Too Risky?
- 5 Reasons Not to Invest In Penny Stocks
- Why It Is Impossible To Predict Interest Rates
- Mutual Fund Managers = Minor League
- Misinformation on Mutual Funds
- The irrationality of investing
- Why you don’t need gold in your investment portfolio
- Corporate Class Funds
- How Much Will I Need to Save for Retirement?
- Financial Advice
- The Investor Group
- Investor Group Update: Lower MER
- The Market Value of Financial Advice
- What is CRM2
- Can you trust a financial adviser?
- Choosing the latest Investment Fad
- What What You Do With 150K?
- How often should I be re-balancing my investment portfolio?
- Why renting a house in your 20’s is a good choice for the future
- Taking a Canadian Securities Course (CSC)
- The danger of Forex Trading
Get $150 in bonuses and 2.4% interest on your savings account with Tangerine.
Most Recent Posts
9 Nine Tips For Buying Cheap Camping Gear (Tip One: Don’t Wait Until Summer)
Y’all: Do not wait to shop for the best camping deals when you’re two weeks away from your trip to Banff or Yellowstone. You will end up throwing money at full-priced gear in a last-minute scramble to get your gear packed. If you want the best deals on gear, the time to start is now.…
Most New Year’s Resolutions Crash and Burn – Try Monthly Resolutions Instead!
We love to think of human accomplishment in terms of the year in which they occurred. We’ve got annual entertainment awards, the Nobel Prizes, and there’s even a competition to identify the year’s most skillful air guitarist. Using the year as a measuring stick for self-actualization is as much a part of being human as…
Wealthsimple Black and The Wealthsimple High Interest Savings Account
As you’ve no doubt gathered by this point if you’re a regular fan of our show, we’re pretty big fans of Canada’s robo advisors. Yes, they’re not the absolute lowest-cost option out there, (see our robo advisor review for a comparison to DIY online index investing through a discount brokerage) but the uptake we’ve seen…
BMO SmartFolio Review, Analysis and Promo Code
BMO Smartfolio: Review Summary Why “Robos” and Online Portfolio Management Services? Over the last couple of decades the average Canadian investor has faced a choice of two primary options when it came to managing their investment portfolio. 1) Go with a “full-service model” that included in-person meetings with a representative from the banking/investing institution and…
The Complete Guide to Canada’s Robo Advisors
Do you want an easy, user-friendly way to sock money away in an RRSP or TFSA without having to learn “a bunch of investing stuff”? Perhaps you’re looking for a financial service that matches your lifestyle and allows you to get advice online without having to wait at a bank or sit on a phone for…
Questrade Review for 2018 – $50 Promo Offer Code
Congratulations! If you're considering opening a Questrade discount brokerage account, you have have likely managed to get a handle on your personal finances and are now ready to put your money to work for you. Read our in-depth Questrade review below and take advantage of our exclusive Questrade promo code when you open up an…