Scotia Momentum® Visa Infinite* card Review
The Scotia Momentum® Visa Infinite* card is hands-down one of the best credit cards to add to your wallet. When it comes to earning cash back on daily spending, this card just can’t be beat. Plus, as a welcome bonus, new cardholders pay no annual fee in the first year, including on supplementary cards.
- Cash back rewards
- New mobile device insurance
- Comprehensive travel insurance
- Welcome bonus offer
About the Scotia Momentum® Visa Infinite* card
The Scotia Momentum® Visa Infinite* card often tops financial experts’ lists of the best cash back credit cards in Canada and it’s the cash back credit card with the most awards in 2019. It’s easy to see why: the earn rate for groceries and recurring bill payments is incredibly generous, netting users 4% cash back per dollar. For most Canadians out there, groceries are among their biggest and most consistent monthly spends, so this is a big perk. The card also features a solid 2% cash back for gas and daily transit, and 1% for all other purchases with no cash back limit.
If that’s not enough to impress you, the welcome offer sure will. Ending November 1, 2020 new cardholders will have the annual fee of $120 is waived in the first year, including on supplementary cards. It also comes with other nice perks like new mobile device insurance and travel insurance.
|Scotia Momentum® Visa Infinite* card: At A Glance|
|Welcome Bonus: No annual fee in the first year, including on supplementary cards◊||Income eligibility requirements: Minimum annual income of $60,000 (individual) or $100,000 (household) or minimum managed assets of $250,000.|
|Annual Fee: $120, waived in first year||Recommended Credit Score: Good to excellent|
|Purchase Interest Rate: 20.99%||Rewards: Earn 4% cash back on groceries, recurring bills and subscriptions to a yearly max of $25,000; earn 2% on gas and daily transit; 1% on all other spending|
Card Features & Benefits
The biggest selling feature for this credit card is the excellent earn rate. For every purchase charged to your Scotia Momentum® Visa Infinite* card, you’ll earn cash back. Here’s the earning structure:
- Earn 4% cash back per $1 for groceries and recurring bills, up to an annual max of $25,000 (a very high ceiling).
- Earn 2% cash back per $1 on gas and daily transit purchases, including ride share services like Uber (up to $25,000 annually)
- Earn 1% cash back on all other purchases with no cash back limit
Everyday earnings aside, this credit card also comes with a good welcome bonus for new cardholders:
- No annual fee in the first year, including on supplementary cards (Apply by November 1, 2020)
The Scotia Momentum® Visa Infinite* card is a well-rounded card, with a plethora of perks aside from its welcome bonus and earn rates, including:
- Comprehensive travel insurance: It includes an impressive 15 days of emergency medical and trip interruption, as well as trip cancellation coverage, flight delay, delayed and lost baggage and rental car insurance.
- Purchase Security & Extended Warranty Protection: Most items purchased with your card are insured against theft, loss, or damage for 90 days from the purchase date. The manufacturer’s warranty is also doubled for up to one year.
- New mobile device insurance: Bought a new mobile phone or tablet? The device is insured if it gets lost, stolen, accidentally damaged, or experiences mechanical failure. To be covered, just charge the full cost of your new mobile device to your card or charge all of your wireless bill payments for such device to your card when you fund such a purchase through a plan. This is one of the few Cash Back Visa Infinite credit cards with this insurance benefit.
- Access to the Visa Infinite Concierge Service: You’ll get access to an “on-call” concierge that will assist you 24/7 with things like getting restaurant reservations or tickets to a performance.
- Access to the Visa Infinite Hotel Collection: Having this card in your hands guarantees you the best available rates on eligible hotels, as well as automatic room upgrade when available and free Wi-Fi.
- Access to the Visa Infinite Dining and Wine Country program: An exclusive benefit that offers cardholders a chance to dine with award-winning chefs and wine experts.
- Save on Car Rentals: Save up to 25% off the base price of car rentals from participating AVIS locations and at participating Budget locations in Canada and the U.S. when you charge the rental to your Scotia Momentum® Visa Infinite* card.
Pros and Cons
The Scotia Momentum® Visa Infinite* card has got a lot of advantages. The welcome bonus is a standout feature, as well as the cash back for groceries, recurring payments and subscriptions is among the best in the country. If you travel frequently, the spectrum of travel insurance perks is another major feature that adds to the card’s allure. The mobile device insurance is especially enticing for those of us who are clumsy with our smartphones and tablets.
But it’s not all roses and sunshine. The Scotia Momentum® Visa Infinite* card does have a few notable cons. The 2% gas earn rate is respectable, but many of the best no annual fee credit cards in Canada offer the same rate. Furthermore, your cash back is only paid out once yearly in November. So you’ll have to wait to get those rewards.
- Outstanding welcome offer — Earn 10% cash back on all purchases for the first 3 months (up to $2,000 in total purchases)
- No annual fee for the first year
- Excellent cash back earn rate — Earn up to 4% cash back per dollar on everyday purchases.
- Includes new mobile device insurance
- Includes comprehensive travel insurance
- Annual fee of $120
- Cash back rewards are paid annually
We’re fans of the Scotia Momentum® Visa Infinite* card and believe it to be one of the best cash back credit cards in Canada. However, it may not be the best fit for everyone. If you’re a frequent traveller, you may prefer to add one of the best travel rewards credit cards in Canada to your wallet, like an Aeroplan or Air Miles credit card. Whether or not it’s right for you really depends on your spending habits and how much you can take advantage of the other perks like travel and mobile insurance. Take a look at the best credit cards in Canada and decide for yourself.