Tangerine World Mastercard® Overview
|Tangerine World Mastercard® Details|
|Annual fee: $0||Cash back: 2% cash back in up to 3 categories, 0.50% on everything else|
|Purchase interest rate: 19.95%||Balance Transfer: 1.95% for the first six months|
|Perks: Airport lounge access, mobile device insurance, rental car collision insurance, zero liability, extended warranty, purchase protection||Minimum income eligibility requirements: $60,000 individual or $100,000 household per year OR total balances of $250,000 or more in Tangerine Savings Account(s) and/or Investment Fund Account(s)|
|Special welcome offer: New cardholders can earn a $250 bonus when spending at least $5,000 on everyday purchases in their first 3 months.|
New Tangerine Mastercard Review
When you sign up for the Tangerine World Mastercard®, you are prompted to select two of Tangerine’s money-back categories in which to earn 2% cash back. After choosing two categories, you’ll earn 2% cash back on everything charged onto your card that falls into these categories. Your rewards are automatically deposited into your account of choice every month, or you can choose to have it debited back onto your credit card. However, if you deposit your cash back rewards into a Tangerine savings account, you’ll get a third 2% cash back category, allowing you to supercharge your spending even more. All purchases made outside of your chosen categories will earn 0.5% cash back. What’s also amazing is that this is a no annual fee credit card!
The rewards scheme above is what you’ll earn from using this credit card year-round, and there’s no limit on the amount of cash back rewards you can earn on your everyday purchases. Plus, the welcome offer is quite lucrative: new cardholders can earn a $250 bonus when spending at least $5,000 on everyday purchases in their first 3 months. That’s on top of the cash back rewards you’d regularly earn!
Tangerine World Mastercard® vs. Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card
At first glance, it may seem like these two Tangerine credit cards are very similar, but there are some differences. The biggest thing is that the Tangerine World Mastercard® has a higher minimum income eligibility requirement, as well as offers some extra VIP perks (e.g. lounge access and insurance). You can read our Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card review for more information, but here’s how they stack up in a side-by-side comparison.
|Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card||Tangerine World Mastercard®|
|Minimal Income Eligibility Requirements||$12,000||$60,000 individual or $100,000 household annual income or total balances of $250,000 or more in Tangerine Savings Account(s) and/or Investment Fund Account(s)|
|Welcome Bonus Offer||Earn a $250 bonus when spending at least $5,000 on everyday purchases in their first 3 months.||Earn a $250 bonus when spending at least $5,000 on everyday purchases in their first 3 months.|
|Rewards||2% cash back in up to 3 spending categories, 0.5% cash back on everything else||2% cash back in up to 3 spending categories, 0.5% cash back on everything else|
|Cash Back Limit||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Base Benefits||Zero liability, extended warranty, purchase protection, priceless cities||Zero liability, extended warranty, purchase protection, priceless cities|
|Extra Benefits||n/a||Rental car collision damage insurance, mobile device insurance, airport lounge access|
|More Info||Learn More||Learn More|
Tangerine Money-Back Rewards program
The Tangerine cash back program is one of the best available in Canada. The categories you can choose from are:
- Groceries (includes any purchases made at Walmart Superstores, like clothes, electronics, pharmacy, etc.)
- Gas (includes Costco gas as a merchant under the gas category for the Tangerine credit card)
- Recurring bill payments (any payments made on a regular basis that are automatically billed by the merchant to your Tangerine World Mastercard®, such as your monthly utility or mobile phone bill)
- Drug store
- Home improvement
- Entertainment (merchants classified as Sports Venues, Theatres, Amusement Parks, Carnivals, Circus, Tourist Attractions and Exhibits, Movie Theatres, Zoos, Bands, Orchestras, Aquariums)
- Public Transportation and parking (includes Buses, Trains, Ferries, Taxis, Road Tolls)
We like the Tangerine Money-Back Rewards program because it’s simple and straightforward. There are no hoops to jump through to get your rewards, no minimum purchase requirements, no threshold or maximum spending limits, and your cash back is debited to your account every month to be spent however you see fit. There are few cash back credit cards in Canada that offer no annual fee, extra VIP benefits (like insurance), and a lucrative cash back rewards program. It’s a savvy saver’s dream come true!
Other Benefits of the Tangerine World Mastercard®
In addition to earning cash back, the Tangerine World Mastercard® cardholders also receive the following benefits:
- Zero liability: If your credit card is used by someone to make unauthorized purchases, you won’t be liable.
- Extended warranty: When you purchase items with this credit card, the manufacturer’s warranty will be doubled up to one year.
- Purchase protection: If an item you purchase with this credit card is damaged or stolen within 90 days, you’re covered.
- Priceless cities: Available through all Mastercard credit cards, you’ll have access to unique offers and special events through the Priceless Cities program.
Beyond these perks, cardholders also have access to upgraded insurance coverage and other benefits, including:
- Rental car loss damage insurance: Automatic damage and theft protection for car rentals up to 31 days in length, provided you pay for the rental with this credit card.
- Mobile device insurance: Buy a cell phone, smartphone, or tablet with this credit card, and you’ll be covered up to $1,000 if the device is lost, stolen, or damaged.
- Airport lounge access: This credit card provides you with a complimentary membership to the Mastercard Airport Experiences Provided by LoungeKey. This membership gives you access to 1,000 airport lounges for just $32 USD per visit.
The Verdict: Upgrade If You Can!
There’s no doubt about it: the Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card is an essential piece of plastic to have your wallet. But you meet all the eligibility requirements, why wouldn’t you upgrade to the Tangerine World Mastercard®? It has the same amazing features – no annual fee and an attractive rewards program that allows you to earn unlimited cash back — but includes extra VIP perks (like insurance and lounge access) to sweeten the pot, none of which will cost you a dime. You won’t find another credit card like this one, and all things considered, we can confidently say that the Tangerine World Mastercard® is one of the best credit cards in Canada.