I’m a happy girl. I truly try my best to live my life to the fullest and live without regrets. In a way, you could say I live a “You Only Live Once” #YOLO lifestyle, but at the same time, I live this YOLO lifestyle within reason and with conscious effort and thought. I have traveled to a lot of places and have experienced a lot of things (I feel so lucky!) but there are places that I still want to go to because I have been afflicted by a terrible case of wanderlust. Sometimes I don’t feel completely at ease unless I have another trip planned. When I finish one trip I feel a bit of sadness because it has ended, and planning is seriously have the fun.
I have a travel bucket list that never seems to end though I will be tackling a chunk of it in 2013:
- Mt Kilimanjaro and an African safari- I am sure everyone and their neighbours cousin knows of my interest to hike mount Kilimanjaro. I think this might be the year that it is done!
- Swim with dolphins- I had the opportunity to do this in Cuba but it just seemed very forced as I think it was a “dolphinarium” and I couldn’t bring myself to swim with dolphins in captivity for the sake of it. Perhaps I just put this on my list because it’s on everyone’s list and it’s cliche. Maybe I should take it off.
- Visit lavender fields in Provence- Another big European dream of mine. I love love love lavender and to be immersed in a bright purple field of fresh lavender during a hot summer’s day in France would be so….. oh la la!! 🙂
- Visit Portugal- I went to Spain last year but didn’t get a chance to visit Portugal as I had so little time.
- Visit Scandanavia- It would be nice to see where Ikea and H&M came from. I hear they have some pretty good snow boarding too!
- See the Aurora Borealis- Apparently this is THE year to see the northern lights! I have never seen them, it would be amazing to see them up north in NWT or something!
- See Iceland and hang out in the hot springs
- Go to Mongolia and be nomadic like the nomads
- Dubai- I could take this one or leave it, but it would be cool to see the man made islands
- Greece- Santorini and the Greek islands, ’nuff said! This is one of my major dreams, the contrasting white and blue homes with the turquoise blue water is one of my top bucket list destinations
- Pompeii Italy- I have been to Italy but never got the chance to go to Pompeii, one of my dream places to go ever since I learned about it in elementary school
- Laos- I am going to Laos this year but mainly just hanging out in Luang Prabang.
- Turkey- I would like to ride in a hot air balloon except that I’m afraid of heights, so I don’t know how this is going to happen
- Maldives- I know this one is kind of unreasonable because it is so ridiculously expensive. But it is sinking and it would be nice to see it before it sinks.
I know my list is ridiculously long… it’s kind of embarassing. However, I’m not in too much of a rush to tackle all of these. I know that one could just go on a 6 month leave or something and see all of these things on a RTW (that’s round the world for you non-travel addicts) trip but I think it’s much more fun to have something to look forward to when you are doing the 9-5 grind, do you know what i mean?
Some Rules To Follow
Now, here are some rules to follow when creating and enacting your travel bucket list:
- Do not go into debt for it
- Set aside money each month to make your bucket list dreams come true
- Think about things like the Latte factor and other unconscious spending that you may do without realizing it
- Sacrificing one thing (like daily lunches) can mean that you can reach your travel goal faster
- Remember, think positive and eliminate excuses to achieve your goals
If you’re looking for inspiration, why not start in your own backyard and see the 2013 Outside Online Adventure bucket list for North America.