WestJet RBC® Mastercard Review
For a limited time earn up to 100 WestJet dollars1 (with $1,000 spend in the first 3 months). Offer expires Jan. 5, 2022.
Get an annual round-trip companion voucher starting from $199 CAD1 (plus taxes, fees and charges) for round-trip travel within Canada and to/from the continental U.S.
Travel accident, hotel/motel burglary, auto rental collision/loss damage insurance included
About the WestJet RBC® Mastercard
The WestJet RBC® Mastercard will appeal to anyone who flies WestJet. It’s essentially a cash back credit card, but with some great travel benefits. Instead of earning points, you get WestJet dollars. You’ll earn 1.5% in WestJet dollars on WestJet flights or WestJet Vacations packages and all other purchases get you 1% in WestJet dollars. While that earn rate may not seem high, this is an entry-level card and has an annual fee of just $39.
Let’s say you spend $2,000 on flights and a total of $18,000 on all other purchases every year. That would give you 210 in WestJet dollars. When you add in the welcome bonus that’s worth up to 100 WestJet dollars, that’s a total of 310 WestJet dollars that you could get in the first year. That’s a decent return for a low-fee card. Plus, every seat on WestJet flights is available and there are no blackout dates.
Additional benefits with the card include an annual round-trip companion voucher starting from $199, travel accident insurance, hotel/motel burglary insurance, auto rental collision/loss damage insurance, purchase security, and extended warranty insurance.
Card Features & Benefits
Clearly, this card is aimed at travellers who frequently fly WestJet. You get an increased earn rate on WestJet purchases and some travel benefits. Overall, it’s a decent entry-level travel credit card that has a low minimum income requirement to be approved. Some of the benefits worth highlighting include:
- Robust earn rates: Earn 1.5% in WestJet dollars on WestJet flights or WestJet Vacations packages2. Earn 1% in WestJet dollars on everyday purchases2 you make on your card.
- Lucrative welcome offer: Earn up to 100 in WestJet dollars1 when you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months.
- Easy redemptions: WestJet dollars can be used to pay for the base fare of eligible WestJet flights and vacation packages.
- Low annual fee: The annual fee is just $39, which is great for a card that offers so many benefits.
Pros and Cons
The WestJet RBC® Mastercard is a good travel credit card for people who don’t meet the high-income requirement that premium travel cards often have. In addition, the benefits you get far outweigh the annual fee that you’ll pay. Many people will love the fact that you’re earning dollars instead of points, so there’s no need to navigate complex rewards charts.
Despite the benefits, there are some limitations to this card. Since you’re earning WestJet dollars, you’re essentially tied to a single airline. Although you do have the option to use your WestJet dollars on vacation packages, not every resort is available. The included travel insurance is pretty basic, and it doesn’t include travel medical or trip cancellation insurance.
- Decent welcome offer — Get up to $100 WestJet dollars1 when you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months
- Good earn rate
- Some travel insurance
- Low minimum annual income requirement
- Low annual fee
- Lacks travel medical and trip cancellation insurance
- Reward redemptions are restricted to WestJet flights and vacation packages
Although the WestJet RBC® Mastercard is an entry-level card, it comes with a few additional perks that are worth mentioning.
- Companion voucher: You get an annual round-trip companion voucher starting from $199.
- Travel accident insurance: You’re insured for up to $500,000 with the included travel accident insurance.
- Auto rental collision/loss damage insurance: Get up to $65,000 in auto rental collision/loss damage insurance for up to 48 days.
- Hotel/motel burglary insurance: Get up to $2,500 in hotel/motel burglary insurance.
- Purchase security: 90 days of purchase security from theft, loss, and damage.
- Extended warranty: Purchases made with your WestJet RBC® Mastercard get double the extended warranty up to one additional year.
- Free DoorDash Delivery: Get a complimentary DashPass subscription from DoorDash for up to 3 months. When you sign up for your WestJet RBC® Mastercard, add it to your DoorDash account to get free delivery (on purchases over $12) for 3 months when it is used for payment. Terms and Conditions Apply.
How the WestJet RBC® Mastercard Compares
If you’re considering the WestJet RBC® Mastercard, the assumption is that you fly WestJet regularly. Since Air Canada is WestJet’s biggest competitor when it comes to flights, you should take a look at what the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Platinum* Card offers as a comparison.
The TD® Aeroplan® Visa Platinum* Card has a higher annual fee of $89 but there is a first-year annual fee waiver.† The TD® Aeroplan® Visa Platinum* Card also has a Welcome Bonus that allows you to earn up to $500 in value† when you apply by December 5, 2021. Conditions apply.
When it comes to the earn rate, WestJet gives you 1.5% back in WestJet dollars on WestJet flight and vacation package purchases. All other purchases earn you 1% back. For the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Platinum* Card, you get 1 Aeroplan point for every $1 you spend on eligible gas, grocery and Air Canada purchases. For everything else, it’s 1 Aeroplan point for every $1.50 you spend.
For many people, the comparison comes down to redemptions. If WestJet is your preferred airline, then earning WestJet dollars makes sense. If you prefer some flexibility with your flights, then Aeroplan might be a better choice since you can use your points with Air Canada and their partners. That said, Aeroplan does have a dynamic pricing model, so redeeming your points for free flights could be tricky.
WestJet RBC® Mastercard TD® Aeroplan® Visa Platinum* Card Welcome bonus Up to $100 WestJet dollars1 when you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months Apply by December 5, 2021 to earn up to $500 in value† Annual fee $39 $89 (first-year annual fee waiver)† Travel insurance Travel accident, hotel/motel burglary, auto rental collision/loss damage Travel accident, hotel/motel burglary, auto rental collision/loss damage, delayed and lost baggage, flight/trip delay Other perks Companion voucher 10% off Avis Rent A Car and Budget Rent A Car, mobile device insurance More Info Visit Site
†Terms and conditions apply.
The TD® Aeroplan® Visa Platinum* Card offer is not available for residents of Quebec. For Quebec residents, please click here.
If you prefer to fly WestJet, don’t want to pay a high annual fee, or don’t meet the high minimum annual income requirement for other cards, then the WestJet RBC® Mastercard is a solid choice. The welcome bonus is worth more than the annual fee and WestJet dollars are easy to redeem since they’re similar to cash.
While this card may be lacking in travel insurance, this should be expected since the annual fee is just $39. You still get purchase security and extended warranty insurance as long as you charge the entire cost of your purchases to your WestJet RBC® Mastercard. If you like to fly WestJet and want to save money, then this card is for you.