APOLLO Insurance Review
APOLLO Insurance is an online insurance company that offers renter’s insurance, as well as a wide array of customizable business insurance options at affordable prices. The platform is quick and easy to use—you can complete your application and purchase insurance in under 10 minutes. .
- Small businesses looking for liability coverage
- Tenants who want to protect their property
- Fast and easy insurance quotes
- Buying insurance online ASAP
About APOLLO Insurance
Launched in 2019, APOLLO Insurance is a Canadian online insurance company that describes itself as “Canada’s leading digital insurance provider for small businesses and renters.” It features a comprehensive selection of online business insurance, ranging from general liability insurance to professional insurance to renters insurance. However, it does not sell all forms of insurance. For example, you would have to go elsewhere if you were looking for life insurance, home insurance, or auto insurance. Brokers can also use APOLLO’s portfolio to search and buy insurance for clients.
- Comprehensive insurance for small businesses and freelance professionals: APOLLO provides four kinds of business insurance that will satisfy the needs and potential liabilities of most freelance professionals and small businesses.
- Renters insurance: Protects tenants from liability and reimburses them for items lost through theft or damage.
- Fast and easy quotes: You can get your quote in under 10 minutes and immediately purchase insurance without speaking to an agent.
- Affordable pricing: Insurance is competitively priced and fees are clearly marked in the final insurance documents.
- Insurance you can personalize: You have the ability to customize the amount of insurance coverage you want, as well as the deductible amounts.
Since APOLLO offers so many different kinds of insurance (especially for businesses), your individual quote will depend on many unique factors including:
- Which industry you work in and what kind of business you operate
- Type(s) of insurance protection you want (personal or professional liability, security breach coverage, contents coverage, etc.)
- The monetary amount you want to be covered for
- The deductible you’re willing to pay
APOLLO’s website, however, does give a very general range of average monthly payments for some forms of insurance. For example, a consultant’s monthly payment starts at $22, a yoga or fitness instructor’s starts at $17 and renter’s insurance starts at $17 a month.
Additionally, APOLLO charges an administration fee which varies depending on the kind of insurance you get. (It is clearly delineated on your final policy.)
Types of Insurance Offered
Small Business Insurance and Freelance Professionals Insurance
- Professional Liability Insurance: Commonly known as errors and omissions insurance, professional liability insurance will cover you and your business if you’re ever sued for negligence or failure to properly render professional services. Professional liability insurance protects you even if the claim is frivolous or you haven’t done anything wrong. This insurance can be especially useful for self-employed people who don’t have an employer or corporation to protect them if something goes wrong during the normal course of business.
- General Liability Insurance: A commercial general liability insurance policy will protect you if you’re sued for negligence in cases where you may have caused bodily injury or you’ve damaged someone else’s property. You can be blamed regardless of whether your business is at fault, and you risk being sued at great personal cost if you’re not protected. This is the most popular form of insurance for a small business.
- Non-Profit Directors and Officers Insurance: Directors’ and officers’ insurance protects your business from damage caused by negligence or honest mistakes made by your business’s directors and officers. The insurance covers not only you for any lawsuits you may have to pay out but also reimburses you for your legal fees and court costs.
- Contents and Equipment Insurance: Contents and equipment insurance protects your business property (such as computers, tools or electronic equipment) from damage or theft. With this kind of insurance, you won’t have to pay out of pocket to replace your items so you can get back to business faster.
While your landlord likely has insurance, it only covers the building structure itself and won’t in any way cover your costs if, say, a fire destroys all your belongings. Renters insurance covers your personal belongings (like your smartphone, computer or priceless collection of Star Wars figurines) if they are damaged or stolen. Furthermore, if you somehow cause damage to someone else’s apartment (for example, you leave the shower on and it floods the apartment below), you’ll be protected from personal liability in the event you’re sued. All in all, renters insurance is a smart idea and could potentially save you tens of thousands of dollars.
Pros and Cons
- Competitively priced — Quickly find competitive prices to use while comparison shopping
- Comprehensive coverage — There are lots of options for your specific business or renters insurance needs
- Fast and easy application process — You can apply for insurance in about 10 minutes
- Online service — Can purchase insurance immediately online; no need to talk to an agent
- Customizable coverage and deductibles — Choose the amounts that work for your specific coverage needs
- Online only — No in-person meetings with an agent
- Not available in all provinces — APOLLO Insurance is only available in Ontario, Alberta, Nova Scotia, British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Manitoba
- Limited types of insurance — Only renters and business insurance are available. It doesn’t offer popular insurance types like home and auto.
- You have to do your own research — Lacks detail on the website about professional or general liability. You'll have to read the fine print to really understand if a policy meets your business needs.
How does APOLLO Insurance Compare?
It’s important not to get APOLLO confused with other kinds of Canadian insurance companies. APOLLO only sells its own brand of insurance, whereas a company like InsuranceHotline.com acts as an insurance comparison platform where you can compare the best quotes from a variety of insurance providers.
Unlike InsuranceHotline.com, you won’t get to compare insurance quotes from multiple providers with APOLLO. You’ll only get only one insurance quote. That being said, as an online-only provider, APOLLO does offer competitive prices. Furthermore, whereas InsuranceHotline.com does sell business and renters insurance, the process is not as seamless as it is with APOLLO. You can’t complete your entire transaction online but rather have to phone to speak to an insurance broker before you can complete your purchase. Insurancehotline.com, however, does provide a much wider range of insurance than APOLLO, including auto, home and life insurance. Both APOLLO and InsuranceHotline.com are not available throughout Canada, so your geographic location will decide whether or not you can use their services.
How to Get a Quote for APOLLO Insurance
APOLLO has a quick and easy application process. Just head to the home page and navigate towards the bottom of the page. Then, click on either “Business Insurance” or “Personal Insurance” depending on your needs. (Do not click the “Buy Insurance Now” button if you want personal renter’s insurance because that button takes you directly to business insurance.)
In this example we will use a business insurance application as that is the most extensive and popular form of insurance that APOLLO offers. Initially, you’ll be asked to define your industry or profession. There are more than 250 small business categories to choose from.
Next, you’ll fill in some personal information like your name, business name and address.
Then, you’ll need to fill in how much professional liability insurance you want (how much money you’ll be covered for in case you are sued in relation to the performance of your business) to buy and what your deductible will be. If you don’t have a clear idea about your insurance needs, you can call APOLLO insurance’s customer service (open Monday to Friday, 7:00 am to 7:00 pm CST).
You’ll then be asked about additional insurance coverage, such as general liability and whether or not you want to be covered in the event of a security breach (not all forms of insurance will be related to your particular business).
Next, you’ll be asked to provide information about your business, such as last year’s income and when you want the coverage to start, how long you’ve been in business for and if you have any employees.
You’ll then be provided with a quote. Additional fees are clearly defined.
If you need more assistance due to the nature of your business and your insurance needs, APOLLO may reach out to you to get more information.
APOLLO is an excellent resource for anyone who has clearly defined insurance needs related to renting or running a business. The application process is incredibly straightforward and streamlined. You can be up and running with affordable insurance in less than 10 minutes. It’s certainly one of the first websites to explore when researching the most competitive business insurance quotes in Canada.