TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card Review
Welcome offer: Earn up to 25,000 Aeroplan points and a bonus Buddy Pass†. Plus, first year no Annual Fee†. Conditions Apply. Must apply by March 6, 2022
Free first checked bag for yourself and up to eight companions†
Includes comprehensive travel insurance + Nexus membership fee rebate†
About the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card
Ranked as one of the best Aeroplan credit cards in Canada, the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card provides cardholders with opportunities to earn Points on everyday purchases while taking advantage of card benefits. Using this card, you’ll earn 1.5 Aeroplan Points for every $1 spent on eligible grocery, gas, and Air Canada purchases. You’ll earn 1 Point for every $1 spent on all other purchases made with the card. Even better, you can “double-dip” and earn Points twice when you pay with your card and present your Aeroplan Membership Number at participating partner brands and online retailers via the Aeroplan eStore.
Plus, there’s the welcome offer—a generous offer—earn up to $1,250 in value† including up to 25,000 Aeroplan points, no annual fee for the first year and additional travel benefits. Must apply by March 6, 2022.
- Earn a welcome bonus of 10,000 Aeroplan points when you make your first purchase with your new card†
- Earn an additional 15,000 Aeroplan points when you spend $1,000 within 90 days of Account opening†
- Earn a Bonus Buddy Pass† that can score you a second ticket when you book an economy ticket. On the second ticket, you only pay the taxes and third-party charges. You’ll receive the one-time use pass when you spend $1,000 within 90 days of Account opening†, and you have a whole year to use it†
- Enroll for NEXUS and once every 48 months get an application fee rebate†, and share free first checked bags†
- Plus, get an annual fee rebate for the first year†
To receive the first-year annual fee rebate, you must activate your Card and make your first Purchase on the Account within the first 3 months after Account opening and you must add your Additional Cardholders by March 7, 2022.
Card Features & Benefits
It’s easy to rack up Points since the major spending categories cover everyday spending and travel purchases. The flexible redemption options with AirCanada.com and the Aeroplan eStore means that you can plan out how to best maximize your Points.
- Excellent earn rates: Earn 1.5 Aeroplan Points for every $1 spent on eligible grocery, gas, and Air Canada purchases and 1 Point for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Attractive welcome offer: New cardholders earn up to 25,000 Aeroplan points and a bonus Buddy Pass†. Plus, first year no Annual Fee†. Conditions Apply. Must apply by March 6, 2022.
- Convenient spending categories: You’ll get the most Points for your buck by using this card for everyday purchases such as groceries, and gas purchases as well as travel with Air Canada.
- Flexible, easy redemption: It’s easy to redeem your Aeroplan Points for flights, travel packages, hotels, car rentals and more through AirCanada.com. You can also get merchandise and gift cards from the Aeroplan eStore, but travel rewards will allow you to make the most of your Points.
The TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card offers up some enticing travel extras. In addition to the opportunity to earn Aeroplan Points, cardholders receive:
- A comprehensive travel insurance package: Including travel medical, trip cancellation/interruption, and flight/trip delay insurance.
- One complimentary first checked bag: For you and up to eight travel companions on the same reservation for Air Canada flights†.
- Preferred rates at Avis Rent-A-Car and Budget Rent-A-Car
- Nexus fee rebate application rebate†
The Visa Infinite program offers its members benefits including:
- 24-hour Visa Infinite Concierge to arrange reservations and help with your to-do list
- Visa Infinite Luxury hotel benefits
- Visa Infinite Food and Wine experiences
How the Aeroplan Program Works
The Aeroplan Points Rewards Program is a rewards system with a focus on travel with Air Canada, a leading Canadian airline. Aeroplan Points can be redeemed for travel rewards, including flights on Air Canada and their partner airlines, hotel stays, car rentals, and vacation packages. Additionally, there are experiential rewards like event tickets, plus merchandise available through the Aeroplan program. You can also donate your Points to select charities or transfer them to another member.
The redemption process for the Aeroplan program varies depending on what you are trying to redeem. For merchandise or events tickets, you can simply go to the online Aeroplan eStore, log in, and purchase. While there is a broad catalogue to choose from, the store itself feels a little dated. There aren’t the deep descriptions, images, and reviews that are standard now on most eCommerce sites, and the result is a lack of confidence in the product offerings.
If you’re trying to get a flight, however, you’ll have to book through AirCanada.com or by using the Air Canada App. Points can go towards Air Canada or partner flights. The number of Points required will be dependent on the season and demand for the flight, but the good news is that your Points can apply to all taxes and fees, and under the new program they have eliminated surcharges when you use Points to pay.
Air Canada and its partner airlines operate in more than 190 countries worldwide. With Aeroplan Points Rewards Program, you can travel in different classes—economy to first-class—and you have unrestricted access to any available seat. Round-trip flights start at 12,000 Points for economy and cost up to 350,000 Points for first-class; one-way trips cost half of that.
Learn how to make the most of your Aeroplan points.
Pros and Cons
Like other Aeroplan cards, the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card offers some decent travel benefits, like a free first checked bag for you and up to eight travel companions on the same reservation for Air Canada flights†, a Nexus fee rebate†, and more. TD’s travel insurance package is good— up to $1 million of travel medical coverage for the first 21 days for cardholders under 65 years (if you or your spouse is aged 65 or older, you are covered for the first 4 days of your trip), along with insurance for trip/cancellation, delayed/lost baggage, flight/trip delay, and auto rental collision/loss damage insurance. Cardholders also get the benefits of Visa Infinite Exclusive Benefits.
The sign-up bonus of 10,000 Aeroplan Points after your first purchase† is attractive. The 15,000 additional Aeroplan Points and an Air Canada Buddy Pass after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days† from account ownership is especially enticing since you can use it to bring anyone along to anywhere Air Canada flies in North America, including Hawaii and Mexico. New cardholders also get an annual fee rebate for the first year for the primary and up to 3 additional cardholders†. To take advantage of this limited-time offer, you must apply by March 6, 2022.
Some potential downsides of this card are you need to have a relatively high income at $60,000 (personal) or $100,000 (household) per year. On the same note, the fee is $139 – just slightly higher than comparable cards at $120. Also, there’s no airport lounge access with this credit card, a premium perk that makes the travel experience that much better.
- Excellent welcome offer — Earn up to 25,000 Aeroplan points and a bonus Buddy Pass†. Plus, first year no Annual Fee†. Conditions Apply. Must apply by March 6, 2022
- Flexible rewards redemption
- Good earn rate in top spending categories
- First year annual fee rebate — Value of $139† or $214† with an additional cardholder
- Nexus fee credit — Enroll for NEXUS and once every 48 months get an application fee rebate†, and share free first checked bags†
- Includes comprehensive travel insurance
- Access to exclusive Visa Infinite benefits
- High minimum annual income — Minimum $60,000 (individual) or $100,000 (household)
- High annual fee
- No airport lounge access
How the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card Compares
Most people want a travel card that accumulates points quickly so that they can reap the rewards ASAP. These cards often come with an annual fee that’s justified by the insurance coverage and travel perks. The TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card allows you to quickly accumulate Aeroplan Points on everyday purchases and experience some nice travel perks. While the American Express® Aeroplan®* card also comes with some great benefits, the right card for you will depend on a few factors.
First up, the earn rate. While the earn rate structures are similar, there are a few key differences with the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite*card: you’ll earn the most on groceries, gas, and Air Canada purchases at a rate of 1.5 Points/dollar. With the American Express® Aeroplan®* Card, groceries only earn 1 Point/$1; however, dining and food delivery gets 1.5 Points/dollar; and Air Canada spending is bumped up to 2 Points/$1. So, depending on your spending habits, you may want to take a closer look at which card will net you more Points over the course of a year.
The welcome offers are similar where Points and perks are concerned, 25,000 Points with TD vs. 40,000 Points with Amex, and both offer a Bonus Buddy Pass. However, with the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card the annual fee is waived for the primary and secondary cardholders for the first year.†
While the cards are fairly evenly matched, the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card pulls slightly ahead because of the better travel insurance package. The American Express® Aeroplan®* Card does not include the oh-so-important trip cancellation insurance. Plus, Visa cards are accepted at more stores and restaurants than American Express cards.
Credit Card The TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card The American Express® Aeroplan®* Card Annual fee $139 (first-year annual fee rebate)† $120 Travel insurance Up to $1 million of travel medical coverage, plus insurance for trip/cancellation, delayed/lost baggage, flight/trip delay, and Auto Rental Collision/Loss Damage Flight delay, baggage delay, lost or stolen baggage, hotel burglary, car rental theft and damage coverage. Plus, travel emergency insurance and $500,000 in travel accident insurance, Membership Visa Infinite with perks like Visa Infinite Dining Services, Entertainment Access, Luxury Hotel Collection, Wine Country, Troon Golf Benefit, and 24/7 Concierge American Express Invites with Front of the Line Advanced Access, Reserved Tickets, and E-Updates Other perks Enroll for NEXUS and once every 48 months get an application fee rebate†, and share free first checked bags† For every $10,000 in eligible purchases charged to your card you get 1,000 Status Qualifying Miles and 1 Status Qualifying Segment More Info Visit Site Visit Site
We’re loving some of the perks of this credit card: the generous welcome bonus, one complimentary checked bag on Air Canada flights, and Nexus fee credit are all enticing. Also, the comprehensive travel insurance is impressive. So, if you spend a good chunk of change on groceries and travel each year, this may be the card for you.
We’ve got a few minor concerns about the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card, like the $139 annual fee or the lack of lounge access with your credit card. But for the most part, the benefits and earning opportunities are enticing for Points collectors. Our advice? If you want to rack up Aeroplan Points, this is a great credit card option. Still deciding? Check out the other best Aeroplan credit cards in Canada, and then decide if the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card is for you.
This TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card offer is not available for residents of Quebec. For Quebec residents, please click here.
†Terms and conditions apply.