With these considerations in mind, we set out to find the best Canadian credit cards for millennials and narrowed the list down to our top five best credit cards. These cards are well-suited to millennial lifestyles, as well as deliver many perks and bonuses that you’ll actually use.
Top 5 Best Credit Cards for Millennials in Canada 2020
|Credit Card||Best For|
|Tangerine Money-Back Mastercard Card||Cash Back Rewards|
|Scotiabank Gold American Express® Card||Travel Rewards|
|Scotiabank SCENE®* Visa* Card||Entertainment Perks|
Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card: Best For Cash Back Rewards
Nothing is as flexible as cash in your hand. Until recently, cash-back credit cards weren’t offering the right mix of good reimbursement rates, eligible spend categories, and low (or no) annual fees. It seems that the Tangerine Money Back MasterCard has finally hit the sweet spot with these perks:
- No annual fee
- Earn 2% cash back on two eligible Tangerine spending categories (groceries, gas, drug store, restaurants, recurring bill payments, furniture, home improvements, hotels, entertainment, public transportation/parking)
- 0.5% cash back on everything else
This program is a winner based on its simplicity. Upon sign-up, choose two of money-back categories plus get a third when you have your Money-Back Rewards deposited into your Tangerine Savings Account. It’s that easy!
The fact is, you can use cash for anything you need and this flexibility along with decent reimbursement rates is why it tops this list. There are no restrictions or complicated rules to follow. It’s just money back in your pocket—and it doesn’t cost you a thing.
Scotiabank Gold American Express® Card: Best For Travel Reward
The Scotiabank Gold American Express® Card has some serious points-earning potential that can be put towards your next trip. For every $1 you spend on eligible grocery stores, restaurants, fast food, drinking establishments, and entertainment, you’ll earn a crazy-good 5X Scotia Rewards points; 3X points per $1 spent on eligible gas, daily transit, and select streaming services; and any other purchases come in at 1X Scotia Rewards point per $1 spent.
The annual fee of $120 is a bit steep, which is a bit of a bummer. But this card is still a winner in our books, as it provides amazing benefits, such as no foreign transaction fees, comprehensive travel insurance, and Amex Front Of the Line® access. Plus, for a limited-time, this card has an incredible welcome bonus: new cardholders will receive 20,000 bonus Scotia Rewards points when they spent $1,000 within the first 3 months.
What’s also exceptional about this credit card is the flexibility in rewards redemption. All you have to do is login to the system and select the “Apply Points to Travel” option. Then just use your accumulated points to offset any travel cost (flights, rental cars, hotels, etc.) charged on your credit card. It’s that easy – no black-out periods or annoying restrictions. It’s no wonder the Scotiabank Gold American Express® Card is often ranked as the best travel credit card in Canada.
- Annual Fee: $120
- Income Eligibility: Minimum of $12,000 annual income
- Credit Score Required: Good to Excellent
- Welcome Bonus: 20,000 Scotia Rewards points when you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months
- Other Perks: No foreign transaction fees, comprehensive travel insurance, Amex Front of the Line® access
- Purchase APR: 19.99% | Cash Advance APR: 22.99%
Scotiabank SCENE®* Visa* Card: Best For Entertainment Perks
There are a lot of credit cards aimed at students, but what they all typically offer is a quick way to get into debt. Even if you’re at the beginning of your credit history, it’s possible to make your spending work for you—and that’s what the Scotiabank SCENE®* Visa* Card excels at the most.
- No annual fee
- Earn SCENE points that can be redeemed towards free movies
- Earn 2,500 bonus SCENE points with your first $500 in everyday purchases in the first 3 months
- Get $10 off at participating restaurants when you redeem just 1,000 points
- Low income requirement ($12,000/year)
A high earn rate and redemption ease make this a really attractive option for those who enjoy movies, shopping, and restaurants. Scotiabank SCENE®* Visa* cardholders earn 5 SCENE points for every $1 spent on credit card purchases at Cineplex theatres (Cineplex, Scotiabank theatres, Famous Players, SilverCity, Galaxy, Cinema City, etc) or at cineplex.com. You can also earn 1 SCENE point for every $1 spent on your everyday credit card purchases.
The redemption rate is super-low (starting at 1,000 points), which means you can basically use this card for everyday purchases and skim the points for things that make you happy—like movies and meals. Best yet? The points never expire.
Summary of the Best Credit Cards for Millennials
|Credit Card||Annual Fee||Purchase Interest Rate||Points or Rewards Program||Sign up Bonus||Minimum Income||More Info|
|Tangerine Money Back MasterCard||$0||19.95%||Cash back||None||$0||Learn More|
|Scotiabank Gold |
American Express® Card
|$120||19.99%||Scotia Rewards points||Earn 20,000 bonus Scotia Rewards points with your first $1,000 in everyday purchases in the first 3 months||$12,000||Learn More|
|Scotiabank SCENE®* Visa* Card||$0||19.99%||SCENE Points||2,500 bonus SCENE points with your first $500 in everyday purchases in first 3 months||$12,000||Learn More|
Despite what the media might have you believe, millennials aren’t a monolith. There’s a wide age spread included in this group, from folks just applying to university to those learning how to how to save money for retirement. Some of you may be saving to travel the world, while others might be buying your first home. Whatever your millennial money goals are, it’s much easier to achieve them when you’ve got the right plastic in your wallet.
The Best Credit Cards by Category:
- The Best Travel Rewards Credit Cards in Canada
- The Best Credit Cards in Canada
- Best Credit Cards to Use for Car Rental Insurance
- The Best Low Interest Rate Credit Cards in Canada
- Best No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards in Canada
- The Best Cash Back Credit Cards in Canada
- The Best Balance Transfer Credit Cards in Canada
- The Best AIR MILES Rewards Credit Cards in Canada
- The Best Aeroplan Credit Cards in Canada